Mintek brings you the latest in EAM/CMMS systems and news in the major cable industries each week from around the globe. Learn how these new developments in EAM/CMMS and cable can affect your business or home.
EAM/CMMS news in the U.S.
This week’s news focuses on the importance of having a preventive maintenance plan in place to avoid accidents or safety malfunctions/issues in your business.
- OSHA Proposes More Than $110K In Fines To Peanut Processor For Serious Safety Violations by Bethe Croy, OSHA issued citations Monday following an inspection of Great Southern Peanut which included 13 repeated, four serious and four other-than-serious health and safety violations. The proposed penalties for the citations total $110,310.
- Combi Recalls Child Car Seats For Risk Of Chest Injuries by The Associated Press, Combi USA is recalling more than 39,000 car seats because they can transmit too much force to a child’s chest in a crash.
- Tesla offers $2.6 billion to buy sister firm SolarCity; both shares drop by Reuters, SolarCity Corp agreed to be acquired by sister company Tesla Motors Inc. in a deal worth $200 million less than the initial offer, sending shares of both companies down in early trading on Monday.
- Verizon buys Fleetmatics for $2.4B in cash to step up in telematics
by Ingrid Lunden, Hot off the heels of its acquisition of Yahoo last week for $4.8 billion, today Verizon announced another huge purchase: it’s buying Fleetmatics, a telematics company based out of Dublin, Ireland, for $2.4 billion in cash, to build out the products that it offers to enterprises in the areas of logistics and workforces that are on the move.
Cable News around the Globe
This week’s cable updates focus on quarterly reports and new mergers and acquisitions.
- Rovi Reports Mixed Q2 Ahead of TiVo Buy by Mari Silbey, In what was almost certainly the last earnings report before it acquires TiVo, Rovi reported mixed financial results for the second quarter. The company tallied revenues of $125.2 million in Q2, down 2% from the year prior, but higher than an average estimate from analysts of $119.31 million.
- Comcast: X1 Strong, No Need to Go OTT Today by Mari Silbey, While Comcast couldn’t pull off another quarter of video subscriber growth in the traditionally weak Q2, the cable company still reported its best second-quarter results for its video business today in more than a decade.
- Frontier Calls In WiFi Fix With AirTies Mesh by Mari Silbey, Frontier has nearly doubled its Internet customer base since acquiring three Verizon markets on April 1, and the telco is now faced with finding ways both to capitalize on that scale and differentiate itself from rival service providers.
- Yahoo Signing Off in $4.83B Sale to Verizon by Mari Silbey,Known as one of the first big brands on the Internet — and trademarked by its yodeling jingle and the exclamation point at the end of its name — Yahoo is now under agreement with Verizon to be acquired for approximately $4.83 billion in cash.
If you have an interesting story that you would like shared, please send the link to Kelly.Blount@mintek.com. Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.