Mintek brings you the latest in EAM/CMMS systems and news in the major cable industries each week from around the globe. Learn how these new developments in EAM/CMMS and cable can affect your business or home.
EAM/CMMS news in the U.S.
This week’s news focuses on recalls and safety issues within the work place that could potentially be avoided with an EAM CMMS to track work orders and repairs.
- Thrill-Ride Accidents Spark New Demands For Regulation by Kathleed Foody, Some parts of the U.S. are experiencing safety concerns are injuries to young children on thrill rides in amusement parks causing new safety regulations to be enforced.
- Honeywell Recalls Eyewash Solution Due To Contamination by Honeywell, In cooperation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Honeywell is voluntarily recalling one production lot of 32-ounce bottles of Eyesaline Eyewash solution, which is used for emergency eye rinsing after an injury.
- Maryland Officials: Companies To Pay Penalty For Polluting by Associated Press, The owners that operate two power plants in Maryland have agreed to pay a $1 million penalty to resolve allegations over polluting in the Potomac and Patuxent Rivers.
Cable News around the Globe
This week’s cable news follows the trends of online streaming services and expansions from the well-known Netflix’s of the world, uproar regarding the FCC’s set-top box proposal, and changes for Charter customers.
- Google Fiber Downsizing Not Confirmed by Mari Silbey, A sexy story like the news that Google Fiber may be getting gutted in a massive downsizing effort will get headlines all day long. But there’s a problem when that news only comes from off-the-record sources.
- Solving for the Next Netflix Effect by Mari Silbey, Online video takes up a lot of network bandwidth, and Netflix streaming in particular accounts for more than a third of Internet traffic during peak viewing hours. That’s a disaster for network operators, but one to which they’ve become pretty well accustomed.
- Comcast & OpenStack by the Numbers by Mari Silbey, Comcast has been an OpenStack proponent and core user since 2012, and in the four years since, the nation’s largest cable company has racked up some impressive stats. may not be leaving the mark on telecom policy that was expected, even a few months ago.
- CCIA Counter-Attacks on Set-Top Proposal by Mari Silbey, For as much rancor as the net neutrality debate has generated in the US, the FCC’s “Unlock the Box” initiative has now arguably risen to near-equal levels of contentiousness.
- Changes Ahead for New Charter Markets by Mari Silbey,It appears Charter CEO Tom Rutledge is making good on a promise to shake up the pricing and packaging of cable products in legacy Time Warner Cable and Bright House Network markets; some customers may not be happy with the changes.
If you have an interesting story that you would like shared, please send the link to Kelly.Blount@mintek.com. Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.