Mintek brings you the latest in EAM/CMMS systems and news in the major cable industries each week from around the globe. Learn how these new developments in EAM/CMMS and cable can affect your business or home.
EAM/CMMS news in the U.S.
This week’s news focuses on disasters that could possibly be prevented by using an EAM CMMS to determine maintenance malfunctions before they occur.
- Energy Not The Only Metric For High Performance Buildings by Facilities Net, Discover how energy is not the only metric when making your building high performing and what factors can increase cost savings.
- Railroad Blames Broken Bolt For Train Derailment, Crude Spill by Andy Szal, Railroad officials confirmed late last week that track failure led to the derailment of a train carrying crude oil in northern Oregon earlier this month.
- 30-Mile Stretch Of Erie Canal To Close For Culvert Repairs by Chris Carola, A western New York stretch of the Erie Canal will be drained and closed for several weeks while crews repair one of a series of century-old culverts built under the waterway, state officials said June 17th.
Cable News around the Globe
This week’s cable updates focus on set-top box resolutions, new ownership, and social media leaking more into the cable medium as we become a more on-demand world.
- Combes Lands Altice CEO Job as Cablevision Deal Looms by Iain Morris, Cable group Altice has announced a management reshuffle that will see former Alcatel-Lucent boss Michel Combes replace Dexter Goei as CEO.
- Hulu, Tumblr Leak Live Video Newsby Mari Silbey, Despite the maxim that we’re living in an on-demand world, entertainment and social media companies are increasingly turning to live video to boost their feature sets and attract new users. News leaked out over the past week from both Hulu and Tumblr about near-term plans for new live-video services.
- Ditch the Box? It’s Code for Keep the UI by Mari Silbey, The “Unlock the Box” campaign has always been about more than just getting rid of traditional pay-TV set-top boxes. While public attention has focused on the box debate, the bigger issue in the fight between pay-TV companies and regulators is whether Multichannel Video Programming Distributors should be required to separate out their video streams from the navigational interfaces they use to deliver service.
- Why Charter May Shutter Its Smart Home by Mari Silbey, Following multiple rumors that Comcast is about to purchase a large chunk of Icontrol Networks Inc.’s business, news is now emerging that Charter is “assessing” the IntelligentHome service it acquired via Time Warner Cable and “reducing the focus on sales” while a review is underway.
- Altice Passes Final Cablevision Test by Mari Silbey, Despite initial resistance to the deal, the state of New York has now approved the proposed $17.7 billion acquisition of Cablevision by French network operator Altice.
If you have an interesting story that you would like shared, please send the link to Kelly.Blount@mintek.com. Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.