Mintek brings you the latest in EAM/CMMS systems and news in the major cable industries each week from around the globe. Learn how these new developments in EAM/CMMS and cable can affect your business or home.
EAM/CMMS news in the U.S.
Featured EAM CMMS stories revolve around automation in factories and OSHA laws.
- U.S. Plants Struggle To Fill Skilled Positions by Associated Press, American manufacturers have actually added nearly a million jobs in the past seven years. Labor statistics show nearly 390,000 such jobs open.
- N.J. Aluminum Company Pins Layoffs On OSHA Fine by Andy Szal, A New Jersey aluminum manufacturer announced layoffs of 61 employees in the wake of an “onerous” fine levied by federal workplace safety regulators last month.
- Labor-Short Japan More At Home With Automation Than U.S. by Yuri Kageyama, The debate over machines snatching jobs from people is muted in Japan, where birth rates have been sinking for decades, raising fears of a labor shortage. It would be hard to find a culture that celebrates robots more, evident in the popularity of companion robots.
What’s Going on in the World of Cable?
Main cable updates include Comcast partnering with Xfinity, Apple taking a bite out of TV business, and cord-cutting statistics.
- Comcast Rings In Xfinity Mobile Nationwide by Mari Silbey, Comcast is now officially a wireless carrier with Xfinity Mobile available across the Internet provider’s entire customer footprint.
- Why Disney Could End Up Streaming for AT&T by Mari Silbey, Through a series of acquisitions, AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) could end up as a new kind of Disney customer, relying on the entertainment giant for streaming video infrastructure services.
- Apple Takes $1B Bite at TV Business by Mari Silbey, In the latest installment of Apple’s TV saga, The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the company plans to spend $1 billion on original content over the next year.
- Comcast’s X1 Clips Canadian Cord-Cutting by Aditya Kishore, The second quarter of 2017 was the worst ever quarter for cord-cutting in the US, but in Canada, it seems the trend is slowing.
If you have an interesting story that you would like shared, please send the link to Kelly.Blount@mintek.com. Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.