Mintek brings you the latest in EAM/CMMS systems and news in the major cable industries each week from around the globe. Learn how these new developments in EAM/CMMS and cable can affect your business or home.
EAM/CMMS news in the U.S.
This week’s EAM related news focuses on manufacturing hazards that could potentially be avoided with proper maintenance precautions.
- Samsung: Note 7 Battery Design, Manufacturing Caused Fires by Tom Krisher and Michael Biesecker, Samsung Electronics Co. said problems with the design and manufacturing of batteries in its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones caused them to overheat and burst into fire.
- Railroad Parts Manufacturer Cited After Workers Exposed To Machine Hazards by OSHA, A follow-up inspection by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration found a casting and foundry facility operator continues to expose workers to machine and fall hazards at its Ohio plant.
Cable News around the Globe
Highlights in cable include new FCC appointed commissioner, cable 2016 earnings, and advances in mobile and cable.
- Comcast Kicks A$$, Earns $80B in 2016 by Mari Silbey, Comcast’s success in video and broadband is starting to appear as inevitable and unstoppable as gravity.
- AT&T Swears by DirecTV Now by Alan Breznick, Even though it may be losing big money on every DirecTV Now subscriber it signed up in the service’s first six weeks, AT&T is still betting the ranch on its new OTT video bundle.
- FCC: Comcast Unparalleled in TV Distribution by Mari Silbey, The FCC published its latest report on the “Status of Competition in the Market for the Delivery of Video Programming.” The numerical findings were not surprising given the wave of consolidation sweeping the pay-TV industry, but one conclusion stuck out for its lack of a parallel in the market.
- Is Pai Filling FCC Role? by Mari Silbey,With FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler stepping down today, Politico is now reporting that newly sworn in President Donald Trump will appoint Commissioner Ajit Pai to lead the agency, citing “two industry sources familiar with the decision.”
- Is Cable One Beefing Up for Slaughter? by Alan Breznick, Is Cable One positioning itself to be acquired by gobbling up smaller cable operators? That’s the big question that some on Wall Street are asking after Cable One Inc. swung a deal earlier this week to buy NewWave Communications.
If you have an interesting story that you would like shared, please send the link to Kelly.Blount@mintek.com. Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.