Mintek brings you the latest in EAM/CMMS systems and news in the major cable industries each week from around the globe. Learn how these new developments in EAM/CMMS and cable can affect your business or home.
EAM/CMMS news in the U.S.
This week’s news focuses on preventative measures from aircraft accidents and also malfunctions in nature and at work.
- Delta Warns of Chaos After Power Outage, Worldwide System Failure by Alastair Jamieson, Tens of thousands of Delta passengers around the world were stranded Monday after a power outage at its Atlanta headquarters caused a global computer failure that halted all flights.
- Stalled Storm System Expected to Swamp, Steam Northern Gulf Coast by Alex Johnson, State officials urged residents and businesses Sunday to prepare for heavy rain leading to widespread flash floods this week along the entire width of the Florida Panhandle.
- Tesla, Camera Supplier Split Amid Crash Aftermath by Andy Szal, Tesla Motors plans to part ways with the camera supplier for its semi-autonomous driving system after their current contract expires. Officials with Israeli visual technology company Mobileye suggested that the decision stemmed in large part from the first fatal crash involving the “Autopilot” system.
Cable News around the Globe
This week’s cable updates focus on providers involvement in the Olympic games in Rio and providers partnering up with streaming services.
- How MSOs Can Snare Big Companies by Mark Schweitzer, In this fourth and final article, we’ll turn our attention to the large customer decision-maker, the buying journey and competitive switching triggers. Finally, we’ll put the MSO up-market evolution into the context of small business success, along with the larger implications of commercial success for overall cable revenue growth.
- Comcast Gears Up for Rio Games by Mari Silbey, Comcast servces nearly 24 million broadband subscribers, many of whom will be watching the Rio Games online, and more than 22 million pay-TV subscribers, roughly 40% of whom will have access to new IP-based features during the Olympics on Comcast’s X1 platform.
- Mediacom Revs Up for Gig Upgrade by Alan Breznick, Although it usually travels under the radar, Mediacom Communications is preparing to join the other big US cable operators in offering gigabit speeds to its subscribers as its broadband business continues to grow.
- Time Warner Binges on Hulu by Alan Breznick,In another sign that major TV content providers are looking to bypass traditional pay-TV distributors and go direct to viewers, Time Warner has purchased a 10% stake in Hulu and plans to have its Turner-owned networks participate in Hulu’s upcoming live streaming service.
If you have an interesting story that you would like shared, please send the link to Kelly.Blount@mintek.com. Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.