Mintek brings you the latest in EAM/CMMS systems and news in the major cable industries each week from around the globe. Learn how these new developments in EAM/CMMS and cable can affect your business or home.
EAM/CMMS news in the U.S.
This week’s news focuses on internet hackers and ways of implementing a maintenance strategy in your facility.
- Here’s Why Your Internet Was Down Today by Men’s Journal Tech, Digital infrastructure company Dyn (pronounced “dine”) found itself the subject of a distributed denial-of-service attack October 21st.
- Power Station Maintenance: Which Strategy Is Best? by Hans Schroder, Lack of investment in maintenance could potentially have costly consequences. Besides safety risks, defects in power stations often result in cost-intensive remediation measures and temporary loss of power production. The ideal maintenance strategy is about applying the right measures at the right times. However, there are no silver bullets for power station maintenance.
Cable News around the Globe
This week’s cable updates focus on new quarter earnings, mergers, and new bundle deals for cable customers.
- AT&T’s $85B Time Warner Takeover Is a Media Game Changer by Iain Morris, AT&T’s just-announced $85 billion takeover of HBO owner Time Warner is an empire-building move as dramatic as anything in the TV series.
- Verizon Wants More Data on Yahoo Breach by Alan Breznick, Verizon officials are not exactly yelling yahoo these days over their pending acquisition of Yahoo’s operating business.
- Comcast Intros a Whole New Kind of Bundle by Mari Silbey, The US cable giant unveiled the new Comcast Technology Solutions division, a combination of its Comcast Wholesale, thePlatform and This Technology business units.
- Amazon Exploring Future as an ISP by Mari Silbey, A news report out of The Information (hat tip, Engadget) suggests that Amazon is considering the possibility of becoming an Internet service provider in Europe.
- Netflix Soars, Says No Near-Term Price Hike by Mari Silbey,Netflix blew away analyst estimates in the third quarter, reporting an earnings-per-share number of $0.12 compared to predictions in the $0.06-$.07 EPS range.
If you have an interesting story that you would like shared, please send the link to Kelly.Blount@mintek.com. Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.