Mintek brings you the latest in EAM/CMMS systems and news in the major cable industries each week from around the globe. Learn how these new developments in EAM/CMMS and cable can affect your business or home.
EAM/CMMS news in the U.S.
Featured EAM CMMS stories revolve around practices for facility maintenance and Hurricane protection.
- Toxic Sites In Likely Path Of Irma by Michael Biesecker and Jason Dearen, Dozens of personnel from the Environmental Protection Agency worked to secure some of the nation’s most contaminated toxic waste sites as Hurricane Irma bore down on Florida.
- Officers, Medics Sue Over Chemical Plant Fire After Harvey by Frank Bajak, Seven sheriff’s deputies and medical emergency responders who say they were sickened by a chemical fire at a plant outside Houston that flooded during Harvey sued the owner Thursday for gross negligence, seeking $1 million in damages.
- Automation To Transform Employment For Americans by Bitflow, Job insecurity has fueled a general unease among American workers, driven not by foreign competition but by advancing technology. According to pessimists, millions of jobs will disappear in coming years because of robots, driverless vehicles and Artificial Intelligence. However, those fears may be greatly overblown.
What’s Going on in the World of Cable?
Main cable updates focus around internet providers coming up with bundle packages for customers, Automation, and Altice’s new move.
- Boom! Hulu Just Blew Up the TV Bundle by Mari Silbey, In an unexpected move, Hulu and Spotify have teamed up to offer college students a new TV-plus-music bundle for only $4.99 per month. That includes Spotify Premium with no ads and unlimited song skips, and Hulu’s Limited Commercials plan.
- What Happened to Verizon Exponent? by Mari Silbey,It was less than seven months ago that Verizon launched a portfolio of wholesale platforms under the umbrella name Exponent, with the goal of selling the company’s technology and expertise within the areas of big data, the Internet of Things, media services, Internet services, and cloud computing and storage to other telecom carriers.
- Cisco Quantifies Cable Automation ROI by Mari Silbey, The cascade of changes taking place in the cable access network threatens to turn an already complex network environment into a chaotic one. But amid the push toward deeper fiber and distributed access architectures (DAA) is another trend geared toward simplifying operations. As the industry starts to virtualize network functions, it’s also beginning to automate processes, and Cisco is now ready to quantify the impact of some of that automation for cable network providers.
- Amdocs Wins Altice USA in Whopper of a Deal by Mari Silbey, Altice USA has a massive agenda over the next several years that includes continued integration of its acquired systems from Cablevision and Suddenlink, widespread network improvements and the introduction of new video services designed to keep it competitive with fellow pay-TV providers.
If you have an interesting story that you would like shared, please send the link to Kelly.Blount@mintek.com. Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.