Mintek brings you the latest in EAM/CMMS systems and news in the major cable industries each week from around the globe. Learn how these new developments in EAM/CMMS and cable can affect your business or home.
EAM/CMMS news in the U.S.
This week’s news focuses on how preventive maintenance can help prepare for and against disaster situations and work malfunctions.
- Ikea Recalls Safety Gates For Fear Of Causing Injury To Kids by The Associated Press, Swedish furniture retailer Ikea is recalling children’s safety gates because the locking mechanism is unreliable and may result in injury to children.
- Non-GMO Food Additive Manufacturer Faces $180K In Fines After Explosion, Fire Injures 4 by U.S Dept. of Labor, A Newark food additive manufacturer’s failure to handle hazardous materials and respond properly to an emergency led to an explosion that injured four workers, including two contractors who scaled an 8-foot security fence topped with triple-strand barbed wire to escape the fireball.
Cable News around the Globe
This week’s cable updates focus on new acquisitions and wireless competitors.
- Comcast, Alarm.com Swoop in on Icontrol by Mari Silbey, Comcast and Alarm.com confirmed today their plans to divvy up and acquire the smart home platform company Icontrol. Terms of Comcast’s deal were not disclosed, but Alarm.com is spending approximately $140 million on its part of the transaction.
- Netflix Queues Up Video Downloads by Mari Silbey, Netflix is now working on a feature that will allow subscribers to download certain programs for offline viewing, according to industry insider and Penthera COO Dan Taitz.
- Free TV’s Decline Has Begun by Mari Silbey, The rise of cord-cutting is hastening the end of free, over-the-air broadcast TV. Why? In part because those consumers who have abandoned traditional pay-TV service for online alternatives are threatening to cut into the massive licensing fees broadcasters now rely on to support their business. And broadcasters aren’t going to let that revenue stream just slip away.
If you have an interesting story that you would like shared, please send the link to Kelly.Blount@mintek.com. Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.