Mintek brings you the latest in EAM/CMMS systems and news in the major cable industries each week from around the globe. Learn how these new developments in EAM/CMMS and cable can affect your business or home.
How EAM/CMMS can help in natural disasters
This week’s EAM/CMMS news focuses on natural disasters and maintenance malfunctions around the country and how preventive measures can be taken with the use of an EAM/CMMS system.
- California crews scramble to fight wildfire flames amid drought by CBS News, California’s biggest wildfire is burning east of Fresno. A lightning strike set off the Rough Fire more than a month ago, ripping across well over 100 square miles. Learn what can be done in dangerous situations like these to protect your yourself and environment.
- Carnival ship stuck in St. Thomas after fire reported by Glen Sloan, A Carnival cruise ship carrying more than 3,000 passengers is stuck in St. Thomas after an engine fire. A team of experts is in the process of conducting a deeper technical assessment of the affected engine area.
Cable News in Your Neighborhood
This week’s Cable updates focus on online streaming plans and how video subscription is continuing to grow among cable companies and the affects on customers.
- Comcast Puts a Price on Unlimited Data Plans by Mari Silbey, Comcast is testing a new Unlimited Data Option that gives subscribers an opportunity to avoid overage fees if they go over the company’s usage cap of 300GB per month. That privilege comes at a cost, however.
- 5 Signs OTT’s Time Has Come by Mari Silbey, Over-the-top (OTT) video has gone from being a fad to a must-have in the short time since Netflix started pushing its streaming service. However, in the last year, OTT’s really gone on a tear, and September kicked off with a rush of OTT news suggesting that more choice, flexibility and innovation are headed to the multi-screen.
- Amazon Acquires Elemental for AWS by Mari Silbey, A subsidiary of Amazon.com, Amazon Web Services LLC , has announced that it’s acquiring Elemental Technologies Inc. (ETI) for the company’s software-defined video processing capabilities. The two have been technology partners for the last four years, but with this announcement, Elemental will go in house at AWS to help Amazon better serve its media customers.
If you have an interesting story that you would like shared, please send the link to Kelly.Potter@mintek.com. Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.