Mintek brings you the latest in EAM/CMMS systems and news in the major cable industries each week from around the globe. Learn how these new developments in EAM/CMMS and cable can affect your business or home.
EAM/CMMS news in the U.S.
This week’s news focuses on preventive ways to help reduce maintenance and mechanical errors and also ways to improve safety while reducing risks of fines and injuries.
- Mindsets That Lead To Unsafe Plant Maintenance, And How To Change Them by Ryan Donald, Top 3 conditions that cause unsafe plant maintenance and safety tips on how to change these standards.
- New ISO Standard In Development To Facilitate Facilities Management by Sandrine Tranchard, Today’s facilities managers face unprecedented challenges trying to keep up with competing priorities, evolving technology and the drive for corporate social responsibility. In this rapidly evolving world of facilities management, a new ISO management system standard will be more than welcome.
- Post Office Maintenance Facility Faces $87K Fine For Failure To Maintain Fire Extinguishers by Mike Hockett, OSHA’s St. Louis office has cited the U.S. Postal Service’s vehicle maintenance facility in St. Louis for one repeated and two serious safety violations following investigation of a fire in the facility on July 3 and now facing $87,000 worth of fines.
- Despite 40 Prior Violations At WV Sawmill, OSHA Finds 27 More In Recent Inspection by Mike Hockett, After being cited for 40 violations in a March 2014 OSHA inspection, a West Virginia sawmill has been cited for another 27 violations following a follow-up OSHA inspection this past April 13.
- Company Expects To Restart Pipeline Wednesday After Leak by Jeff Martin, A main gas line is expected to restart Wednesday with a temporary bypass after a leak and spill in Alabama led to surging fuel prices and some gas shortages across the South, a company official said September 20th.
What’s Happening in Cable?
This week’s cable updates revolve around virtualization, mergers, and acquisitions to heighten digital access for consumers.
- Nokia Debuts Virtualized Cable Access Platform by Mari Silbey, Following its acquisition of Gainspeed over the summer, Nokia is now launching headlong into the cable access market with the announcement of a new product line-up featuring Gainspeed’s virtualized CCAP technology.
- Verizon Eyeing Video Startup Vessel by Mari Silbey, Tacking onto its high-profile acquisitions of OnCue from Intel, AOL and most recently Yahoo (which is expected to close early next year), Verizon may be set to buy yet another company for its growing mobile video portfolio.
- Charter Will Activate Verizon MVNO Deal by Mari Silbey, Charter’s CEO Tom Rutledge disclosed that the company is in the process of “effectuating” an MVNO agreement with Verizon Communications Inc.
- Comcast Glosses Over Gig Gateway Launch by Mari Silbey, After touting its new gigabit gateway hardware at the past two Internet & Television Expo events, Comcast has been decidedly quiet on its product rollout plans.
- Cable Gets Real About Virtualization by Alan Breznick, After getting off to a relatively late start, cable technologists are starting to get pretty serious about their embrace of SDN, NFV and other virtualization technologies.
- Comcast Binges on Netflix in New Beta by Mari Silbey, Comcast says it will begin rolling out Netflix as a beta service to select X1 subscribers before making it widely available later this year.
If you have an interesting story that you would like shared, please send the link to Kelly.Blount@mintek.com. Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.