Each week Mintek will bring you selected links to stories about EAM & CMMS systems, as well as news for our two largest industries Cable and Lodging.
EAM CMMS News
In this section we will include articles from around the web (including ours) that will focus on asset, document and maintenance management, as well as, inspections and other topics related to EAM and CMMS software.
- FM trends 2014: Beyond buzzwords Posted by Johnson Controls, is a good summary of FM trends recently identified by WorkPlace Now. Some of the more notable trends are of course: Data Security, use of The Cloud, the ability to handle environmental disasters and finding people to replace the aging workers who plan on retiring.
- In sunny Arizona, a battle over solar power By Reid Wilson, brings to light the how the solar and traditional energy companies are gearing up for a huge battle with national ramifications that could impact the entire solar industry. At issue are the net metering policies which govern how much is paid to the solar industry for excess electricity and a move to recover infrastructure maintenance costs.
- Common Mistakes With Process Control Upgrades By Marc L. Hunter, is essentially an article about getting the most out of your assets before you need to replace them by using investments in upgrades and concentrating efforts on the assets that carry 80% of the workload.
In this section we will include articles from around the web (including ours) that will focus on cable industry trends and challenges.
- Trimming the Set-Top Box Energy Appetite By Brian Dietz, reports on how most of the major players have signed up to help reduce cable CPE energy usage up to 45% by 2017 according to the DOE agreement.
- Cisco Maintains Video Dominance By Alan Breznick, recaps a Synergy Research Group reports indicating that Cisco still leads the cable industry in 4 of 5 infrastructure segments including the all important set-top boxes and software.
- FCC proposes elimination of sports blackout rule Posted on fiercecable, highlights the impact battle to be fought between the FCC and the National Association of Broadcasters over a proposed rule to eliminate sports blackouts whose rules were established 40 years ago and are now outdated.
In this section we will include articles from around the web (including ours) that will focus on the Lodging industry trends and challenges.
- World’s Best Beach Hotels Posted on cntraveler, is an article I just could not resist why looking at the dark gloomy clouds overhead and wishing I was on a beach someplace.
- The hotel minibar may soon be extinct, experts say By Hugo Martin, discusses a recent TripAdvisor report suggesting the era of the hotel minibar may soon be over. Partly due to constant guest issues with billing and a move toward more important amenities such as free WiFi, I can honestly say I will be glad when the minibars are gone.
- Our Top 10 News Developments of 2013 By Glenn Hasek, recaps the top ten stories for green hospitality for 2013 noting the growth of participating hotels in green initiatives as well as government involvement.
If you have an interesting story that you would like mentioned, send the link to firstname.lastname@example.org. Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.