Each week Mintek will bring you selected links to stories about EAM & CMMS systems, as well as news for our two largest industries Cable and Lodging.
EAM CMMS News
In this section we will include articles from around the web (including ours) that will focus on asset, document and maintenance management, as well as, inspections and other topics related to EAM and CMMS software.
- Strategies for creating green, healthy & energy efficient existing schools and public buildings in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic Posted on neep.org, is a guide containing procedures to save 5-20% on energy bills for schools as well as procedures for reduction of operating costs and reduced water consumption.
- How to build an effective work program By David Berger, P.Eng., explains the 7 steps to a planned environment including asset hierarchy, maintenance policies and work plans.
- Nuclear sending shock waves through Wall Street By Barbara Vergetis Lundin, is a story about the inability of nuclear power to compete with alternatives and the dramatic reduction in demand growth caused by increasing efficiency of electricity consuming devices.
In this section we will include articles from around the web (including ours) that will focus on cable industry trends and challenges.
- Understanding Why Some Still Don’t Connect to the Internet By John Solit, summarizes a recent PEW reports indicating the percentage of people using and not using broadband as well as the reasons why.
- More Open Source Lingo By Leslie Ellis, discusses how concerns for Intellectual Property (IP) is hindering efforts for Cable going to open source inside of CPE.
- Cloud TV steals show at Cable-Tec Expo By Steve Donohue, describes the ActiveVideo booth at the recent SCTE Cable-Tec Expo and how its demo of a cloud-based version of TiVo that could offer pay TV subscribers both DVR storage and over-the-top video from Netflix drew some of the biggest crowds from cable operators shopping for new technology.
In this section we will include articles from around the web (including ours) that will focus on the Lodging industry trends and challenges.
- Hotel Impossible – Seaside Heights By Stuart Smith M.B.A.,M.S., reviews the two-part special episode of Hotel Impossible. The show highlighted the efforts of the Hotel Impossible team to help out Seaside Heights, NJ which took a direct hit from Hurricane Sandy.
- Convenience shops: Cash-flowing amenity creep By Laurel A. Keller, reports on the growth of convenience shops (scaled down gift shops) in hotels that operate 24/7, providing heat and eat food items, giving hotels a nice incremental profit margin.
- Concept to Re-Use Lost and Found Hotel Items Wins Cornell Student Sustainability Competition By Jane Henion, is a press release announcing the winners of a recent competition. It is included here to provide hoteliers with a few new ideas such as what to do with lost and found items.