This article will explain why Mintek’s Transcendent® makes a good EAM solution to help Shopping Malls retain an edge over online shopping.
Why Shopping Malls Are Changing How They Do Business
The shopping mall industry is at a critical survival point. Between a struggling economy and competition from online shopping, the lower foot traffic, higher vacancy rates and reduced investment availability have many malls struggling to redefine the way they do business.
Although there is some hope for economic recovery, without innovation to attract both occupants and foot traffic, shopping malls may not be able to regain the foot traffic of customers lost to online stores.
“In order to attract more foot traffic, more malls are expected to be converted into lifestyle centers, which typically incorporate living centers, restaurants and outdoor space.”
The good news is that mall property owners and management have begun to transform shopping malls by adding new features such as outdoor mini-parks, apartments, office space and more restaurants in the hope that that malls become a place people want to go to.
Asset Management Visibility has Skyrocketed
With the new innovations there is a tremendous increase in the visibility and importance of facility management as they will be responsible for maintaining the ambiance of the malls as well as keeping stores owners happy and shoppers safe.
This is not an easy task as shopping malls can have hundreds of thousands of assets that require asset management and top notch maintenance. One outstanding solution to handle both the asset management and maintenance is an EAM.
EAM software features combine the ability to manage an asset’s lifecycle from the planning stages through its replacement. In between these points in time an EAM provides the tools that enable proper proactive maintenance to be performed.
For example, EAM provides the tools to ensure:
- Routine, exterior, interior and emergency maintenance is as efficient and effective as can be by:
- Automating much of work management such as work requests, work orders, rounds and inspections.
- Providing scheduling tools for preventive maintenance, repairs and asset replacement to minimize the intrusion on shoppers.
- Giving management reports on the location, condition and work history of all assets. This is great to review high traffic areas for wear and tear.
- That all documents including blueprints, photos, schematics, contracts and vendors information is easily accessible for use with computerized document management.
- All vendor work is being scheduled and monitored.
- All safety equipment is functioning.
- High energy consumption assets such as HVAC or a chiller are in optimal working order to keep energy cost low.
- Lighting is maintained, whether it is in or around the mall.
- Parking garages and elevators are working and safe.
- Weather related problems such as snow removal, standing water, slippery surfaces, storm debris and storm preparation are handled quickly.
In essence, the tools that EAM software provides to shopping mall maintenance management will give mall owners them peace of mind that their investments are being kept in optimal condition. More importantly, it will help maintain a property that can attract customers, visitors, businesses and residents.