Keeping a lookout for technology, regulatory and industry trends can help you identify opportunities and problems for your own organization. This type of information can also provide valuable insights for better asset, facility and maintenance management.
This monthly brief will share some of the articles and tips (including our own) that may influence your organization’s asset, facility and maintenance management decision making.
Top Asset Management, Facility and Maintenance News
Although it is not the most important news in the world (Wars in Ukraine and the Middle East would top the list), the eruptions of several volcanoes should have asset managers on guard across the globe. Volcanic ash can stop engines, clog ventilation systems and cause billions in damages. Europe is already on high alert.
- Icelandic Volcano Erupts: By Dina Spector, covers the initial eruption of the Bardarbunga volcano system in Holuhraun north of Dyngjujökull.
- Iceland’s Latest Volcanic Eruption Has Airlines Nervous. Here’s Why: By Ryan Grenoble, uses infographics to help people understand why Icelandic volcanic ash is so dangerous.
- PNG rocked by volcanic eruption, dividing world’s attention between Iceland and the Pacific: By Jim Algar, notes that Australia’s Qantas Airline said it has shifted the paths of flights from Sydney to Tokyo and Shangri in China to avoid the ash cloud.
Cable, Lodging, and Other Industry Stories
Cable Industry News
This month the trend seems to be a growing concern about cable asset and maintenance management as it seems that the industry is not exempt major asset failures/operating problems.
- Voluntary Agreement for Ongoing Improvement to the Energy Efficiency of Set-Top Boxes: 2013 Annual report on cable industry efforts to reign in energy costs of CPE. The concern is how to reduce the amount of energy needed and still meet consumer demand for innovation. Worth a read!
- Time Warner Cable Outage Raises Questions About Comcast Merger: By Alex Fitzpatrick, is an interesting article because it highlights that major cable MSOs have asset and maintenance management problems just like everyone else. A problem that needs improvement if super mergers are to take place.
- Where We Stand on Net Neutrality: Posted on the NCTA website is a
surprisingly good explanation of their objectives and perspective about Net Neutrality.
Lodging and Other Industries
The Hospitality industry is subject to a lot of consumer demands and changes more rapidly than many people realize. This month sees how hotels are reacting to the popularity of smartphones and tablets by travelers.
- We’re All Going On A Smartphone Holiday: Posted IHG website, points out why the importance and popularity of smartphones to travellers, Article gives a top ten list and the reasoning behind all the hotels apps that make use of smartphones.
- 3 ways the smartphone is changing hotels: By David Johnson, discuses how Millenials (people born between 1980-2001) are driving to efficiency, connectivity and personalization.
- 4000+ Reasons Why Travelers Will Love their Mobile Devices Even More This Year: Posted on the Marriott website, demonstrates how one industry leader is expanding their products to accommodate increased mobility.
- : By Jeff Higley, summarizes the recent Southern Lodging Summit as a discussion of the impact that mobile devices are having on the hospitality industry.
If you have an interesting story that you would like mentioned, send the link to email@example.com. Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.