Keeping a lookout for technology, regulatory and industry trends can help you identify opportunities and problems for your own organization. This type of information can also provide valuable insights for better asset, facility and maintenance management.
This monthly brief will share some of the articles and tips (including our own) that may influence your organization’s asset, facility and maintenance management decision making.
Top Asset Management, Facility and Maintenance News
It seems that Europe has taken the lead in both energy efficiency and innovative asset management. I think there is something to be learned from their efforts that could be applied here in the U.S.A. What do you think?
- Five Truly Amazing and Cool Asset Conversions By Stuart Smith, MBA, MS, peaks at what Europe is doing with unused and abandoned facilities. Definitely a few places that could be added to anyone’s bucket list.
- Germany, Italy, EU, China, and France Top Global Energy Efficiency Rankings Released by our own American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), says that the energy waste by the U.S. is giving more energy efficient economies a competitive advantage. And they are correct.
Increasing Mobility and Electrical Safety Common Sense
- The upside of CMMS mobile solutions By David Berger, P.Eng, recognizes the impact of increasing mobility and provides several guidelines for choosing the right CMMS mobile solution. He notes that many companies see an additional 15-35% improvement in productivity with mobile CMMS solutions.
- Improving Electrical Safety in the Workplace By Christina Chatfield, shares with us an excellent article about understanding electrical hazards, safety planning and how to handle accidents.
Cable, Lodging, and Other Industry Stories
Cable Industry News
This month the trend has been all about changing technology and how this affects our content viewing.
- The Number of Connected TV Devices Will Be More Than Double the Number of U.S Internet Households by 2017 Released by the NPD Group, explains why the surge of Internet connected devices is occurring.
- 2 Factors Leading to the Demise of Cable TV By Michael Nielsen is not what it sounds like – it is actually a good analysis of technology and its role in changing how people view content. Included a classic comparison to the demise of newspapers.
- New Data Shows How Quickly Broadband Speeds are Increasing Posted on the NCTA website, the article indicates that approximately 66% of Americans have access to Internet speeds of 100 Mbps in contrast to June of 2010 when only 10% had access.
- Google Purchase Of Twitch Would Build Out YouTube’s Online Video Streaming Service By Laurie Sullivan, on a deal that would give Google an additional platform to building a broadcast network of sites and cloud-based services supported by broadband speeds that only Google Fiber offers.
Lodging and Other Industries
Courtesy Deka Research
The Hospitality evolves more rapidly than many people realize as a result of the fickleness and changes demanded by consumers. Some of the changes on the horizon are listed below.
- Hotel Energy: Fire, Candles, Electricity and Now the Future By Stuart Smith, MBA, MS, discusses how a Stirling engine when combined with innovations in liquid batteries can answer energy costs concerns and provide reliable energy.
- Bill Marriott: Where Hotels Are Going By Alexandra Wolfe, is a good article on how a visionary such as Mr. Marriott, recognizes the need for constant change. At age 82 he stills thinks like a young entrepreneur – gotta love this.
- 24-Hour Hotel Stays Trend for Upscale Hotels By Genevieve Shaw Brown, looks at the newest trend of the 24 hour stay. In essence, consumers are allowed to check-in and out for exactly 24 hours. Although this is a great option for consumers, it is a nightmare for hotel operations especially hotel housekeeping. Time will tell if the 24 hour stay has staying power.
- 42% of Consumers Expect a Response Within One Hour. Are You Even Listening? Although the article is extremely heavy on the self-promotion, it does point out the need and value of exceptional customer service using today’s social media channels.
If you have an interesting story that you would like mentioned, send the link to email@example.com Mintek reserves the right to select any and all content.