Keeping a lookout for technology, regulatory and industry trends can help you identify opportunities and problems for your own organization. This type of information can also provide valuable insights for better asset, facility and maintenance management.
This monthly brief will share some of the articles and tips (including our own) that may influence your organization’s asset, facility and maintenance management decision making.
Top Asset Management, Facility and Maintenance News
The buzz this year about increasing mobility for asset and maintenance management is reaching a fever pitch. Everywhere you look more and more apps are being utilized on smartphones and tablets. What will future technology hold for us?
- The Truth about Increasing Mobility in the Workplace By Stuart Smith, explains what increasing mobility really is, how it has developed over the last 7 years and the value it has for organizations today.
- Improving Predictive Maintenance With Mobile Apps, Part 1 By Tia Nowack and Anna Wells in a video
discuss mobile apps and their influence in the maintenance industry.
- Is Wireless Electricity Within Reach? Yep. By CNN, Reports on the development of wireless electricity that could make the current charging of smart devices and even cars obsolete.
- Hackers commandeer home appliances By Mike Bacidore, raises the point that hackers can access almost anything electronic making it necessary to secure using mobile devices as well as electrical components.
- 8 Ways Technology is Improving Your Health By Karen Reed, discusses how technology has improved the quality of life and advancements in medicine and healthcare that are increasing overall lifespan and health.
Other Asset Management, Facility and Maintenance Stories Include:
- HVAC Trends: Controls Conversion By Ben H. Dorsey III, discusses the expense windfalls associated with switching older facility pneumatic HVAC control systems to digital controls.
- Dude, Where’s My Assets? By FutureWorld Energy Inc., is example of a new industry establishing EAM practices right at the start. The new industry EAM will utilize the latest in RFID hardware and enterprise grade backend software to track Cannabis all throughout its lifecycle for governance, monitoring and profitability.
- National Park Service Deferred Maintenance Woes By Stuart Smith, questions whether or not budget issues for the National Park Service are the really the reason for the huge deferred maintenance backlog of $11.5 billion that is thrown about.
Cable, Lodging, and Other Industry Stories
Cable Industry News
Cable industry trends in March focus on the increase in 5 GHz spectrum and the battle over IP video programming and IP Hardware.
- FCC Increases 5GHz Spectrum for Wi-Fi, Other Unlicensed Uses FCC Press Release; the FCC will make 100 MHz of spectrum available to relieve congestion for Wi-Fi spots, and increase the potential for more unlicensed spectrum innovation.
- How IP video could reshape the pay TV business By Steve Donohue, examines the scramble between content producers and over the top device manufacturers to be able to launch the first virtual pay-TV service.
Lodging and Other Industries
The hospitality industry always seems to be on the forefront of technology change. Trending now are:
- Industry Changing Blue Ocean Disruption in the Hotel Industry? By Stuart Smith, looks at the entrance of Airbnb into the hospitality industry and how their blue ocean strategy will alter the competitive landscape.
- Hotel of the future: how your phone will be your room key By Mary Branscombe, covers how new locks and hotel check-in can be done right from a smart phone.
- Managing by text: Using tech in back of house By Brendan Manley, describes how text and mobile phones are useful to small hoteliers.