If someone asked you about your business maintenance plan, what would you say? Do you have a proper one in place? Is it working? How are you tracking it? What is your ROI year over year?
These are questions that several companies are faced with that do and do not have maintenance plans, so I have provided the top 10 below to give you a sneak peek in how these ROI statistics can help your business save money in training, documentation, and energy costs to name a few.
How Badly Do You Want To Protect Your Business?
A proper infrastructure relates back to the initial plans to maintain it. The 80/20 rule is a great reference because 80 percent of your maintenance activities should be proactive, while 20 percent should be doing unplanned maintenance items.
If a business constantly waits for items to burn out, the end result will be spending more money in fixing the problem rather than maintaining it. It is the curse of the ” why fix something if it isn’t broken?” People generally think about the initial cost rather than long term benefits of using a CMMS.
For example, if a staff member does not check a HVAC unit regularly for corrosion using a CMMS then there is a good chance the unit could break unexpectedly causing the repair cost to be higher than if there was a proper maintenance plan in place.
10 Sneak Peak Maintenance ROI Statistics
Maintenance refers to several assets in a business including: training, documentation, and utilities; below are the top 10 maintenance ROI statistics.
- Preventive Maintenance: a company can save between 12-18% using preventive maintenance over reactive maintenance
- Facilities implementing proper HVAC maintenance will use 15-20% less energy
- Every dollar spent on preventive maintenance will save you five dollars on other expenses
- Commissioning can save a typical 100,000-ft 2 hotel 10-15% of its energy costs or roughly $20,000 per year
- Buildings in the U.S. are responsible for 39% of U.S energy consumption in 2005 and of that total commercial buildings accounted for 46.3%
- 80% of employees waste an average of 30 minutes per day retrieving information
- Professionals spend 5-15% reading information but up to 50% looking for it
- The average spending per learner is $1,202
- 18 minutes is the average search time for a document
- One bad review on Yelp can cost you 30 customers
Turning ROI Statistics into a Reality
Even in a small business, paper documents, assets, etc. can be a lot to keep track of and take a ton of time. Relying solely on a paper-based system is not practical in today’s world especially when software makes it easier. The idea is to work harder and smarter. Work harder on a maintenance plan and smarter by delegating tasks that are not getting attended to when staff is being taken away to retrieve lost documents, etc. Maintenance and inspection are critical parts of a business’ success.
The solution is implementing a CMMS that preserves assets, keeps things running in optimum condition, and helps insure that assets will have maximum life expectancy. This system will also help manage anticipated failures allowing your staff to budget and plan, while still saving time and money in the short and long term.